Why is such a big problem to give us option to get older firmware?

@Mitja

As users it’s difficult for us to see how a “firmware upgrade” could have a negative effect on Sound Quality :roll_eyes:

However your experience suggests this is the case. Whilst Arylic are really listening the us (the users) on the platform (forum) we should certainly be aware of a “functional” upgrade, degrading “sound quality”. Maybe they should have more “beta upgrades” with volunteer “testers” if they don’t have the resources to test themselves.

Personally I would prefer a few well fully tested “upgrades” than a lot of them with the possibility of affecting existing Sound Quality & Functionality.

As @Rsl mentioned in this Topic " if it ain’t broken don’t fix it"

Kevin

I saw virtual bass option in this UART list - maybe this was enabled in previous firmware? As sound was with much better bass.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gOb4VBruyJgaBZJHClV6dEkoiwf5hkzE/view
VBS[:{onoff}] current virtual bass enable/disable virtual bass VBS:{onoff}

Does someone know how to enable this VBS? Can I do that with putty connected to port 8899 ?

Download this tool
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xtOKgJPVTym-rJvgQYRr6yYUXkxCFZvp/view

Connect with your Device IP Address

Command
MCU+PAS+RAKOIT:VBS&
returns Virtual Bass Status 0 = off 1 - ON

MCU+PAS+RAKOIT:VBS:1& enable VBS
MCU+PAS+RAKOIT:VBS:0& disable VBS

Hope this helps

Kevin

P.S. These are TCP/IP socket commands so putty won’t do the job (unless I’m missing something :slight_smile: )

P.P.S. (disclaimer) I know how to switch it ON & OFF but i have NO idea what it does or sounds like :joy:

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your help.

I don’t get any response with command:
MCU+PAS+RAKOIT:VBS&

uart_passtrough works as command MCU+PAS+EQGet& returns
MCU+PAS+EQ:treble:8&MCU+PAS+EQ:bass:9&

Any idea why MCU+PAS+RAKOIT:VBS& doesn’t works?

Works for me with PRO & MINI
What Arylic Hardware are you using ?

Enter this command in your web browser (replace IP address with your devices) and send JSON table (reply) in Personal Message
http://192.168.167.74/httpapi.asp?command=getStatusEx

Can you create a Topic called VBS or something like that. I think we are kind of running off thread with the intention of @Rsl topic. We shouldn’t pollute it :slight_smile:

Sorry for hijacking this thread :pleading_face:

Let’s continue here: How to enable VBS (virtual bass)

1 Like

Hi, it’s indeed a mistake to upgrade firmware in force, will change this in next firmware. So, it will only show upgrading on app but won’t upgrade in the background without user’s agreement. For the MCU firmwares, will try to make a place to let user download all the old versions, but this will be only available why turned off the ota in background, or else it will return to new version next time.

1 Like

It’s OK :slightly_smiling_face:

At the end, we have to be glad that we have someone who is listening our logical requests,
and join with us to make his product better.
With given answer, it is clear that it will be better situation with firmware in the future! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Of course, that I didn’t succeed to do anything… :weary:
As soon as mini had access to internet, it silently without my knowledge updated to latest firmware and run over all settings…
Not to mention, now I lost last functional device that could switch on audio system :pensive:
That was really stupid of me… :speak_no_evil:

Once again proved that all my(our) requests are legit (and obviously - urgent!) :pray: :pray: :pray:

@Mitja
To help you on different way: do you have ACPWorkbench?
Do you know about Fletcher–Munson curves?

We have DSP inside mini&pro, with very powerful tools.
I use this always and everyone who listened my audio systems with
diy boards, is astonished with sound (especially with bass quality and quantity).
I just followed Fl-Mu curves and created equalization that is adjusted for expected
sound pressure levels.
I also included high-pass filter to reduce cone movement below resonant frequency
of speaker, so in return I have more headroom and speaker control, and some reverse
curve of drivers and/or crossover problems on specific frequency.

If you have ACPW, I can give you screenshot settings to try.
And if you give me type of your speaker (or freq. response), I can adjust parameters
for your speaker - no problem!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your cooperative approach.
It is nice to know that someone is listening for our problems! :beers:

Please, think about it to put information in settings tab not in front page like now.
On that way, no one can tap on update by mistake, and all experienced or skillful users will easily find it.
Win-win situation.

1 Like

Fully acceptable. :+1:
Just to have solution to go back when something is not (jet) working and to avoid automatic+“I am curious” updates. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

you are right, it is not possible that there is not a way to go back to the old firmware.
On all devices from other brands this is possible.

You can go back to old versions, but the issue is the device will automatically upgrade to latest online version. And this is forced by agreements with online music services.

@zpl1025
I think it is not a good direction for global online music services to be exposed to a hardware device, because then both the manufacturer and the user can act like big consumer electronics companies, sooner or later the interests of users will be harmed if the an external service provider simply thinks of one and disconnects it, modifies something on its service, and the previously used function becomes inaccessible to the user. For this reason, a “bare” firmware branch without 3rd party services would be needed, in which, in turn, it would be possible to compile your own music database or stream content freely and conveniently. This would be less maintenance intensive and would remain independent of any uncertain service provider pressure from the brand. Those who do not need these services might prefer to use these independent and long-lasting solutions!

1 Like

I think exactly the same

1 Like

We know that it would be great to have everything in control, but that’s not possible. And also we can’t build a hardware which would work for ever. Like TV, now we have netflix and could watch on demand, who want to watch the traditonal channel? For the music services, yes it’s possible that might be out of service. But if the big company want to disable one service, simply returning to old version won’t work at all. I think the right way is to follow up and walk on.
And btw, we have designed a personal radio station in the latest web UI, so user could set up a station with the streaming link, so he can somewhat control the content.

@zpl1025

If the user has the option to freely save any stream link to the presets, 4stream should be able to browse the playlist files from the phone’s local folders (now it is not able to do so) and once the web interface is fully operational (now, for example, presets cannot be edited via the web interface), they can be used in the long run, arylic devices can be independent of streaming providers.

–
here is an example after a recent shutdown of vtuner, now spotify was dead…

1 Like

Exactly! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Problem is much more trivial functionality, not advanced usage:

Like:
Losing GPIO function - no more option to turn on and off other external devices (amps…)
Losing EQ and all additionally programed function via ACPWorkBench,
when device restore to previous settings after power off
…
With firmware revert, we can go back to functional device, that is the point and crucial
thing to do
It is easy and very glad to later upgrade to something more fancy, but at same time working as
it was before

Last firmware added more options, but not solved most of all noticed serious problems.

@ zpl1025 You can go back to old versions, but the issue is the device will automatically upgrade to latest online version. And this is forced by agreements with online music services.

It is logical and acceptable that online music services don’t work anymore if you don’t upgrade - if this is a must.

@ zpl1025 And also we can’t build a hardware which would work for ever.

I don’t see any reason why basic functionality, together with Bluetooth and local play list can’t be forever.

@ zpl1025 And btw, we have designed a personal radio station in the latest web UI, so user could set up a station with the streaming link, so he can somewhat control the content.

This is extremely powerful and nice feature! Together with “basic functionality” above, totally nice and
useful device. In many cases - you don’t even need anything more! :ok_hand:

1 Like