Remote LAN-USB connection to Up2Beat (ACP Workbench and Play Sound)

There is a possiblity to connect the ACP Workbench and even play Streams remote to a Up2Stream Amp via Network Connected Remote USB Port.
Use your favorite Software (WebRadio, Streamer, everything that plays local over a USB Port/Soundcard)on a PC and connect it to a Virtual USB Port connected to a RaspberryPi–>Connected to an Up2Stream)
I have a RaspPi running on a Up2Stream via Micro USB as a comfortable WebRadio using the Up2Stream DAC as Sound Device(I know that the Up2Stream has a WebRadio built in, but I want more comfort).
I purchased the ACP Workbench, but its a little bit complicated to allways go to the Device and connect it via USB.
So-why not do this remotely over the WLAN?
The Raspi is connected to the up2Stream via USB and plays it streams via the up2Stream inbuilt DAC. The following software ads USB Remote Control to the Raspberry, so I can now access the USB Port remotely connecting to up2Stream via Workbench from any other Computer (that runs the free Programm).
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/virtualhere/script/main/install_server | sudo sh
installs the Virtualhere Software on the Raspberry,
NOTE: This is a free to use General Version of the Linux Virtualhere USB Server. Its free to use but NOT optimized for your Raspberry. Optimized Versions of the Server Software Cost!
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/virtualhere/script/main/uninstall_server | sudo sh
To uninstall.

Now I only have to run the Virtualhere Windows Software (only 64 Bit)

https://www.virtualhere.com/sites/default/files/usbclient/vhui64.exe

Its a runalone Product, so it Installs nothing. And if its not used in Client Mode, its free
grafik

As you see, you can now remotely connect to the Raspi-USB-Up2Stream Port.
(Right klick on the Up2Stream USB Audio and connect to it)
Then run the ACP Workbench-and voila!
grafik

So the remote PC connects via a remote USB of the RasPI via ACP Workbench to the Up2Stream.
Its even possible to stream Sound from a PC over the Net via that Remote USB Connection (IF the RasPi uses the up2Stream as DAC).
With my old RasPi 2B the music sound (PC–>Virtual USB Port–>RasPi–>Up2Stream is a little Bumby, have to test it out with a more modern and Faster RasbPi.

In short: The PC uses the Virtual USB Sound card that it has now to play from whatever Music-Software runs on it over the Net to the Up2Beat Amplifier. (Not to forget the ACP Workbench)

I might note that this Software is free to use in this configuration. The Linux Software Server for Virtual USB Port is a general version, there are specialized versions for different Raspberrys that are optimized for the used RasPi, but they cost!
In this configuration it is free to use, so it might be good for testing out your needs.

2 Likes

Use any DJ Programm to connect your PC to Ap2Stream via Remote USB Soundcard

Thx for this description.
Could you please give us detailed description with some pictures how you did it?
I would like to be able to use any of my LAN PCs to send music to Up2stream and then use it in multiroom config as I have 5 more Up2stream products connected to different speakers or AV receivers.

Pictures will follow. I am just about to set everything up in a neet case.
Actually its quite simple. You have to connect a Raspberry (any will do it, I used an old Raspberry 2, but the final will come with a Raspbery 3B; The cheapest way is to use a Raspberry Zero WH, about 12£).
This will make the USB Port remotely accessible over the net without the obligation to allways carry a Laptop to the Arylic device and connect it via USB to have the same feature.
The Raspberry runs Raspian Lite, we dont need a Desktop.
Do you have any experience in that field (Raspberry and Operating System)?
I will give you help in it if not.

1 Like

@gopher Didi, Nice work.

It would be good to have an explanation of how you get a remote USB port showing on RasPi on LAN. :muscle: :muscle:

I assume the DJ Programm is on a windows PC or something similar :).

Regards, Kevin

P.S. personally I use

• RPI RealVNC Server for headless control of RPI on PC using RealVNC Client
  • Samba or FTP to access files on RPI.
  • PuTTY to access command line
  • VPN Server for remote access to the above.

Hello Kevin
I thought that first too, using vnc or something similar. It will work, but then you need 2 PCs, one connected to the Arylic Device via USB, and one remote for Control.
Here we need a RaspBerry Zero and a PC, and thats it!
Well, how to do it:
Create an SD Card with Raspberry OS Lite. Use the Raspberry Imager. Dont forget before writing it to Press Shift-Ctrl-X to give in all the Parameters for SSH Activation and Password, Activate WLAN with its SSID and Passwords and set the keyboard and WiFi Country. Saves a lot of time later!
grafik
grafik
I just connect the Pi Zero once to the Monitor to determin the IP Adress, then continue working with SSH headless to configure it.
Start Putty and connect with Login “pi” and Password “raspberry” (if you have not changed it before)

Then do the usual updates (take care the Pi has Internet Access)

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

This will take some time, when the OS will get all its updates.
When its finished:
sudo poweroff

Configuring the Arylic Inbuilt Dac as an USB Soundcard for the Raspberry Zero:

Connect the RaspPi to the Arylic device. Use the outside USB Port of the PI for power, the Inside for USB connection to the Micro USB Port of the Arylic Amp! Somehow if I connect a device (Keyboard, Mouse, DAC ) with the outside USB connector of the pi they sometimes dont work! Take care that the Amplifier is NOT connected to power (Unplug it!)
grafik

Start the SSH Login via PUTTY and type in
aplay -l
Press

If all goes well, you see the "Up2Stream USB Audio"as sound card 1. Please regard the Card Number is 1!

The USB sound device can be made the default audio device by editing a system file “alsa.conf” :

sudo nano /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

Scroll and find the following two lines:

defaults.ctl.card 0
defaults.pcm.card 0

Change the 0 to a 1 to match the card number of the USB device :

defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1

To save the file and return to the command line use [CTRL-X], [Y], [ENTER].
Make a reboot: sudo reboot

Login again via Putty and Test the configuration. If all goes well
speaker-test -c2
or
speaker-test -c2 -t sine -f 500
Should give out a sound over the Arylic Amplifier (Ctrl C finishes it)
Now install the USB Remote Software of Virtualhere:
/Side: GitHub - virtualhere/script

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/virtualhere/script/main/install_server | sudo sh

Sudo reboot again, and thats it.

Now you need the PC Client:

https://www.virtualhere.com/sites/default/files/usbclient/vhui64.exe
Is the Download link for a WIndows 64 Bit Client. Other Clients can be found on:
VirtualHere USB Client | VirtualHere

Its a standalone Client, it does not Install anything. Right Click on the USB Up2Stream USB
grafik
and connect to it.

I must note that the free Server for Linux is a little bumpy, its not optimized for any Linux Hardware/Software. (or its intentionally bumpy so that people buy a license)
If you like it, an optimized Lizence for the Linux System costs 49$. You must decide if its worth

One more thing: To make the USB Port reusable after the remote use (it vanishes first) do what the guys of Virtualhere told me:

1. Stop the Virtualherersoftware: sudo pkill vhusbdarm
  2. Edit the config file: sudo nano /usr/local/etc/virtualhere/config.ini
  3. Add the line : AutoAttachToKernel=1

Then save the config.ini file and restart the server vhusbdarm process (or reboot)
Then when you stop using the device via virtualhere it will again be
available on the pi.
I must mention: If you connect an Arylic Device (with an inbuilt DAC) via USB to a PC and make it the Master in the Arylic compound, you can do the same! Use whatever Music Program you want on the PC and stream it to every other Arylic Device in the house!

1 Like

Thanks Didi.

I will work through it all sometime soon.

Regards, Kevin

Another Interesting try I did is installing an Icecast Server on the Raspberry connected to the Arylic Amplifier and stream the Music of a free DJ Software (MIXX is very good, and its Freeware).
And what do you know-it works! I have MIXX on my PC, still have to figure out all its possibilities, and it streams via its Icecast/Shoutcast connector the music to the RasPi connected to the Arylic device, which then can distribute the stream to other Arylic Amplifiers.
A very good tutorial how to get an Icecast Server on the RasPi:
https://stmllr.net/blog/streaming-audio-with-mpd-and-icecast2-on-raspberry-pi/
So, another way to stream Music over the net via great software

1 Like

Here an example: MIXX (Free Software ) running on a PC with windows is connected via its Icecast Connector over the WLAN to the RaspBerry PI that runs an Icecast2 Streaming Server. The RasPi is connected to the Arylic 2.1 via USB (DAC that he uses as Sound Card).
The Arylic Amp with the attached RasPi is located one Flight Up, and Itself is connected via arylic Pairing to an Arylic Up2Stream V4 on the Porch outside.
MIXX has fantastic Sound and Equalizer capabilities as you can see. It plays Playlists with various effects. Its actually a DJ Software with all the possibilities of that you can imagine!
Actually built to setup you own Internet Radio Station or Disco.
MIXX searches your Music collection (NAS, Localy, HD,USB) automatically, adds it to the track/album list and classifies it.
The resulting stream from the RasPi can be played on anything that has a Webinterface(Pad, Phone, Computer, VLC) and by that be relayed to every Airplay/Bluetooth capable Speaker/Amplifier by
http://<IPAdress-Raspi-Icecastserver>:8000/mpd

1 Like

It`s ALIVE
grafik
Its not a Web Radio anymore-its a Media Center! The base is an Arylic Up2Stream Amp 2.1
(at the Bottom)- I added a similar sized Acryl Case on top, which contains the RaspBerry 3B.
What can it do? Well, it can certainly play web radio.(Actually, it can be a Webradio Station by itself with icecast,just connect it to a Streaming Service in the Web, but I dont want to pay royalties or get into legal trouble). Its furtheron a Media center that is connected to the NAS with a couple of thousand Songs and Audio Books I bought over the years.
I can add,remove and modify songs/stations/Playlists via Web Interface (Apache Database of my Repository included on the RasPi via mpd) or mpd App on the Smartphone/Pad.
It is controlled by:
Buttons on the top (Loudness ±, Channel(song) next/prev, Menue (for timer and alarm setup, Streaming mode change(airplay,Bluetooth (incl sending BT Streams),Icecast Streaming from any Windows PC and to any Webdevice) Mute, shutdown a.s.o.)
One line shows a RSS News feed if so chosen (BBC here)
Web interface.
Display show /Date/Time: Station, Song Title, Streaming Mode (Radio, Media,Icecast, Airplay, Bluetooth), Loudness (internal).
Everything that is played/streamed can be relayed to other Arylic devices (2 More: Porch and Stereo Set) or via Icecast to everything that has Player/VLC/Webinterface/Bluetooth
MPD App on Smartphone/Pad (MaximumMPD here, Ad free).
I can use it via Icecast Streaming over MIXX (free DJ Software, check it out; it has a Icecast/Shoutcast connector included) as a Disco Boomer with all the possibilities a DJ has.(Cross fading, up to 4 Sound queues on MIXX with cross fading and the works).
A lot of thanks to Bob Rathbone and his work, he created and maîntains th Webradio Design.

2 Likes

What do the buttons on the top do?

Buttons on the top (Loudness ±, Channel(song) next/prev, Menue (for timer and alarm setup, Streaming mode change(airplay,Bluetooth (incl sending BT Streams),Icecast Streaming from any PC (with Icecast SOurce Capability) and to any Webdevice) Mute, shutdown a.s.o.)
I know, loudness control is not necessary, the Amp does have knobs for it), but it is in the concept.
And some (female) Members of the family that are not to enthusiastic about computers and smartphones wanted some “manual” control and visualisation of what is going on

1 Like

Looks Good, How are you going encase it, Retro Unit, 3Dprinted case? Ive seen some smart DIY’s in Retro Hifi/Radio units

I side loaded google play and the 4 stream app into a Kindle Fire that was unused and unloved and now its used as ‘Playing Now’ screen.
If it could have done Landscape, it would be quite smart to have a colour display above your buttons. ( someone on the forum was looking for the App to be changed to allow this).

looking forward to seeing your project complete

1 Like

I think I`m gonna leave it as it is. Sort of “Art Deco electrique”. In a Case I have to think about cooling fans.
Any way, there is a lot of BOOM in that box, with a Subwoofer attached.
I can lay on the couch and create Playlists on the phone with mpd-client of all my music from the NAS down in the Basement. And whatever it plays is streamed to any Webdevice in the house Via Arylic Pairing or Icecast)
I am thinking of letting it speak too, via espeak.

Steam Punk might be good look! fit a small gramophone horn on top

2 Likes

Great Idea! Will definitely think of that!
And since Halloween comes near , and the whole thing looks already a little like a robot,
I might as well add a second RasPi in the top (there is place enough for that) and add the EYES of Newt) as a gimmick for that occasion. With a motion sensor, the Boom Box is allways watching you!
grafik

3 Likes

This is great. Has anyone attempted to run ACP Workbench on Wine in Linux and if that runs could this theoretically be used in conjunction with that all on a single Linux workstation? Or does this solution still use a Windows Device Driver on the ACP Workbench/Windows workstation?