Raspberry PI with ACP Workbench

So I just read that windows 11 may run well on raspberry pi 4? Anybody had the ability to try this yet? Reason why I’m asking is it would be absolutely awesome to be able to incorporate that in a build with a small touch screen. To be able to access acp with an onboard device would be really cool. For example: you could program multiple eq settings for say Rock, pop, jazz, classical, kind of like the old school receivers. With the pi you could create a GUI to quickly access those settings and apply those settings to whatever arylic board you are using with that setup. It would be awesome to have the extra horsepower of the pi in conjunction with an arylic device. Is there any chance there will ever be a Linux version of acp workbench?

1 Like

Windows 11 on RPI4 :thinking: They will be sending William Shatner into space for real soon :joy: :joy:

In all seriousness I can see the attraction from functionality and Hardware costs but it will be sad day for the RPI project :sleepy: The concept of an “amazing” educational and home enthusiast project to get into bed with Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon etc. will be personally a sad day for me :sleepy:

I feel your pain but acp workbench is a windows only platform. Unless somebody is going to write a Linux platform for acp workbench it is what it is.

1 Like

I also don’t think it’s that their getting in bed with Microsoft I think it’s more of Microsoft 11 can run on a pi 4’s hardware. Which is what I would need to use a pi to run acp workbench.

1 Like

No, it will not run under the given Restrictions from Microsoft. Even Win 10 was only running in a core Version (no Gui, no nothing).
But I refer to my article about virtualizing an USB Port of the Raspberry connected to a Arylic device and by that accessing the ARylic device by any Windows computer over the net. Its even free for that purpose. I connect ACP Workbench over the Net by this method.

1 Like

Brilliant. Thanks. I will incorporate this in my next build. Acp workbench over wlan is something I’ve wanted to be able to do. Really appreciate it.

That statement is untrue.
A few months ago I ran ‘Windows on Arm’ on a raspberry pi. Just to try it out.
It runs actualy realy good, but you need at least The Pi4 with 4GB of ram. It has some limitations, but usb soundcard is supported. With some ‘GOOD LUCK’ you can run ACP on that too.
You can watch the youtube videos from Novaspirit to get an image of that.
I used windows 10, but he also made a video with windows 11.

regards

RaspBerry and Windows are not built for another. Statement from Microsoft:
“Windows 10/11 reacts on the Raspberry Pi 4 extremely slow, so that a productive setup is not to think of!. Not to speak of that this is only a “Insider Preview”-Pre-Version.”
So, why not use an old Windows Laptop? You still have to attach a keyboard/Monitor and carrry it to your Amplifier, so it would be much easier to use a Laptop instead.
I prefer a headless attached Raspberry to the Arylic device and sit comfortable on my desk somewhere else and use ACP Workbench that is connected to the virtual USB on the Raspberry.
And I need only 1 License to manage ALL my Amplifiers over ACP.

I was giving the right awnser to the question of this topic.
The Pi and Windows are not made for each other. That is true. But it is not true that it is ‘extremely slow’.
I tested it for about two weeks and I can confirm that it is far from slow. So, please don’t make any statements that are not true.
For the headless part, there is the built in remote desktop.
As I said, it has some limitations, but it simply works.
If somebody wants to use a Pi, a laptop or a pc. Then I think it is the decision of that person.

Btw. a x86 machine with linux running Wine may work with ACP too. Wine is an emulator for windows applications.

Thanks for the input. That’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I just wanted to know if anybody had tried it and the outcome. I appreciate your response.