Just updated my UP2Stream HD today and it is now dead!!!!!

Hi Hulle,

Thanks for the input. My DAC doesn’t start up in a useable way anymore. I can only start it up with a lot of trying, pushing the reset button, connecting it to my PC, en disconnecting the interlinks.

I have a display attached so the feedback of any luck of a startup is shown. Without a display it will be almost impossible to notice that the boot sequence is started.
Arjen

Hi,
Arylic has agreed to replace my board and I am now waiting for the shipping address I should use in Europe.
Lets hope the new board is up to date and tested when it arrives!
M

Hi a.wie, MartinD,

For the S50 Pro+, the decisive point was that the power-up sequence was changed with the update and not enough power was available after the update.

The S50 Pro+ could be brought back to life with power supply via PC-USB, so at least the next online update could be imported, which put the device back into normal state and made sending unnecessary.

I don’t have an Up2Stream HD DAC board, but I suspect that something similar happened here (why would the board otherwise suddenly stop working after an update and be broken?). Here again my procedure to bring the S50 Pro+ back to life at that time:

• Connect the device to the PC via USB to USB
  • Switch on the device with the remote control
  • disconnect from USB (without switching it off with the remote control first)
  • Plug in the standard power supply again
  • listen to music and then later disconnect from power ONLY (do NOT switch off with remote control)
  • when you want to use the device again, connect it to the power supply again

Ultimately, however, I think only Frank can provide information here. I know how you feel right now and wish you good luck in any case!

1 Like

Hi Hulle,
Many thanks for the help here.
I have just tried the method you suggest but sadly it made no difference.
It does seem to be a power up, or lack of power up sequence issue.
There are two V out connections on the board +5V and +/-12V and neither of them are powered at any time.
Because of this failure I have temporarily gone back to a Up2Stream Pro…wow it really is nothing like as good as the HD. It is always surprising to me how bad going back is. You quickly become used to the upgrade but going back is painful.
Many thanks again for the input and help, maybe it does work for others.
Martin.

Hey Martin,

i had the same issue and immediately claimed warranty for the board. It took just a few days for approval by Arylic. I hope your board is still under warranty.

Good Luck!

Hi Froggy,
Sorry to hear you have the same issue. I would have thought the update would have been pulled.
Mine is now on the way back for repair/update.
Hope they fix it soon.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Have you heard from Arylic yet? My DAC was delivered to a collection point in Poland yesterday.

Greeting,

Arjen

Hi Arjen,
My faulty unit has cleared customs on the way to Poland.
The new unit has arrived and is running 4.6.437434.41
An update is offered but I am not doing this until Arylic give some feedback about what the fault was. It is possible that I would just brick this new unit if I run the update so would like some assurance here.
Anyone else have any ideas or input?
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the update how long. did it take you to receive the new DAC. I would also wait with the update until it becomes clear what is causing the problems. The other option is that a replacement update is offered. Good to hear that you have already received a new DAC unit.

Greeting,

Arjen

I had the same issue dead board from start Direct FW update at first start
a new board arrived yesterday.
Installed it today did not update at first start first tested everything and then did the update…
but I did not see this tread (otherwise I would wait with the update) but I updated to 4.6.437434.43 now
Unit is still running.

Good to know John,
How many people have updated successfully?
Still good to hear what was going wrong.

Martin.

Hi Arjen,
It took around 2 weeks from the fault to a new board.
Martin.

The HD DAC is still running, I did not switch of the HD DAC
so its on since I put in test

Now I notice hickups in playing Spotify or even flac files from my own network sounds like skipping cd player

Hi John,

Sounds as if there is a problem. I assume it isn’t a simple network issue. Do you have any other products and are they working correctly? Is it wired or wireless? etc etc.
If all else seems OK then I suggest you contact Arylic for more ideas.
What software version is it running now? Is it still .43?
M

Indeed all other network connections are working fine.
the Arylic Pro is working fine.
so the HD Dac has some issues

Hi Martin,

Still heard nothing from Arylic :angry: My package has arrived on its destination on 16-februari-2023
This is not the service that I would expect from Arylic.

Hope to hear from them soon.

Arjen

Hi Arjen,
My new (2nd) HD product is now running and is updated to .43.
My replacement was sent before the bricked unit had been delivered.

So all is good now for me. Hope yours is sorted out soon.

M

Hi Martin,

I have received a new HD product from Acrylic. Current firmware is .41.
This one is a lot better than the previous one. No strange residu of the previous song or ticking sound when I have selected the next song. The software looks a lot more stable.
Did you update it yourself to firmware version .43?

Hi John,

I also had some strange data stream issues with my previous version of the HD DAC. The current one with firmware version .41 does not have this.
Sometimes these had strange hick ups, ticking noises. What was particularly noticeable when selecting / stopping the previous song and starting the next song again is that a residue (0.5 sec) of the previous song can be heard briefly.

My network was fine and QOS was set correctly, both wired and via WiFi I had these problems. With WiFi, his stutters in the stream are more of a problem.

At the moment I use the HD DAC as a streamer to a device DAC, this works very well.

You may be able to do something with this information.

Hi a.wie,

I now have two HD units. One is running .41 and has no option to update to .43
The other is running .43.
No idea why they are different or why the update option is not offered.
The noises you have sound like power supply issues to me. I have no audio skipping issues.
Hope this helps.
Check out my more extensive notes re the topic on update log info.
M