Up2stream Pro V3 and I2S output

Hi all,

I am planning on building an integrated streaking amp using a pro v3 module. Use case would mostly be either streaming Spotify/ internet radio or TV duties via Optical SPDIF so I will be adding an SPDIF input board. Although aware of the limitations of the board, I am still looking for as much audio transparency as possible, thus am also looking at adding an external DAC board via I2S bus. Before proceeding, I have some questions related to this setup:

• Pretty sure this is possible, but just to confirm: I can have both the SPDIF input board and I2S dac in use at the same time right?
  • I have read that volume control via remote and app still works when taking the I2S signal, just not when the device is part of a group. Is this correct? When part of a group, how does one control the volume?
  • Will EQ settings applied to the DSP via ACP work on the I2S output, or is this signal from before the DSP? Does the same hold true for SPDIF output would I opt to use that?

Thanks in advance for the help. Really nice having this gathering of DIY audio enthousiasts to help each other out!

Hey mate, welcome to the forum!
To answer your queries, to the best of my knowledge;

Q. Pretty sure this is possible, but just to confirm: I can have both the SPDIF input board and I2S dac in use at the same time right?
A. Correct, this will work.

Q. I have read that volume control via remote and app still works when taking the I2S signal, just not when the device is part of a group. Is this correct? When part of a group, how does one control the volume?
A. Yes the volume control still works with I2s signal. With the app, individual modules or group gain can be controlled.

Q. Will EQ settings applied to the DSP via ACP work on the I2S output, or is this signal from before the DSP? Does the same hold true for SPDIF output would I opt to use that?
A. Yes, see signal flowchart below.

ACP adjustment flow chart

I hope this helps?

Thanks for the quick and clear reply Steve! Real helpful stuff, especially the flowchart. And good to hear that the I2S is also at the end of the signal chain. This means that the Pro board can do all of the heavy lifting for me and I could even implement some form of room correction.

Now on to power amp selection :slight_smile:

Good luck and keep us updated with your build!

Thanks Steve! Will keep you good people updates once life actually gives me some some time to get started :slight_smile:

One follow up question though: I see that there is a separate mono channel EQ feeding into a separate DAC (DACX). Is this indeed also the case for the Pro V3 board (and not just the 2.1 board)? Would this mean I can get EQed and high passed stereo channels through the I2S output to an external DAC board while somehow getting analog mono which is low passed for a subwoofer output? How would I access this analog mono signal from DACX?

You are correct, you would need a 2.1 board to access this feature.