Up2Stream Mini & Ripple problem ?

Check, that’s the same type of reset that I do.
Or the other: 3x pressing reset button.

Hi Ernst,
I just reread your original post, are you using the mini in a mono configuration with just one active speaker?
Cheers,
Steve

Interesting you mention that Steve.

Yes, I use a Mini for each active speaker, as my build is a set of 2 active speakers combined as a Stereo set (configured in the 4Stream App). In the 4Stream App, one speaker is set as Left, the other as Right speaker.

Physically, per speaker there is only one channel connected between the Mini and the input to the Amp of the active speaker.

• On the Mini side I use the Mini-Jack connector for Line Out; of its 3 connections, only 2 are used.
  • On the Amp side there is 2 connections for Audio In: Gnd & Left or Right

Hi Ernst,
I’m wondering if the problem is only affecting one channel of the noisy mini? Do you think that it might be worth swapping the two mini’s and see if the issue persists using the other channel?

Cheers,
Steve

Good suggestion Steve.

I have 6 Mini’s in my workshop. Yesterday I tested them all, and they all give the same level of Ripple. But this was all on the same channel, being Left.
I haven’t switched the channel to hear if that makes a difference. So I will check that and come back.

Also I wonder …
Could it be an issue that the Mini has a Line-OUT with 3 connections, of which only 2 are used?

Re your query ‘Line-OUT with 3 connections, of which only 2 are used?’ Have you tried connecting to the line out JST connection?

At the moment I only use the Mini-jack as Line-OUT, because this is the only way I can use an audio cable that is shielded.

The JST connector I used in the past, but wasn’t that happy with because this was unshielded.

For testing I can of course try it again to check what it does to the Ripple.
I will do that.

Mini

Worth a try, a few mm of unshielded cable shouldn’t be an issue.

I see that you tried your luck with the issue on diyAudio too :slightly_smiling_face:

You guys are very professional with the electronics, I’m more likely familiar with software :slight_smile:

I have no clear idea for the issue. Anyway, one point might help to debug, the 3.5mm jack might not connect the detecting pin to GND, so the 4 segments plug might have issue.

@zpl1025
Hi Frank, thanks for hopping in on the topic!

Do you mean that the 3.5mm jack has no proper connection to GND?
And that the 4-pin connector might solve that?

Or do you mean something else?

not fault actually, but because of the unclear specification of this connector, we only connected the very outer PIN to GND, so it might cause issue for some earphone with 4 segments including MIC. But this should not cause this ripple noise, more likely some hollow sounds. I prefer to believe some interference came into the system, eg the RF signals. Btw, could you hear this noise with earphone?

And you might also connect the GND with the AMP board to determine if the noise came from AMP board.

@zpl1025
Thnx Frank.

I will check all you suggested.

For your information, I will sent you an email with an attached recording of the Ripple. Then you can hear yourself, what it sounds like.

The clip sounds like the RF interference for me

@zpl1025

That could very well be. I have great difficulty finding the source of this. At least I am sure it is not a mobile phone or something like that. I have also placed this configuration in another house, but also there I have the same.

But when I change the Up2Stream Mini, and put in a S10 (I have tried 2 of them) or a Pro, the Ripple is gone!

Any idea?

Hi Steve, in the meantime I have tested by connecting to the Line-OUT JST connector, instead of the Mini-jack. This did not change the Ripple issue.

Hi Ernst,

The fact that the interference problem is endemic to all your mini’s but not to your pro version board is very puzzling, I don’t suppose that you have a DAC board to see if the problem exists thru I2S as well?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi @Steve1

Interesting you mention that!
I am preparing an order and the DAC-board is in. So I will definitely test that.

Do you think the different DAC-IC could make a difference?

Hi Ernst,
To be honest, I really don’t know! But going thru what you have already tried in my head I couldn’t think of anything else.
I only have one mini and have used it successfully in two different projects, both times with two different add on DACs with no issues and no noticeable humm, ripple or interference.
I look forward to hearing your (hope positive) feedback once you try!
Cheers,
Steve

Well it is interesting to see what happens if the DAC-board is connected to the Mini in my configuration with my active speaker.

Which makes me wonder about the S10 …
The S10 has no issues with Ripple in the same configuration with this active speaker.

Does the S10 have a different DAC than the Mini?

@zpl1025 : do you know if the S10 and Mini differ in type of DAC?