Up2Stream DAC HD / DIY Project / LED GPIO / Display Options

Hello there,

I’m in the process of creating a DIY project around the DAC HD. It should have a fully wooden housing, as well as individual front- and backplate. I give you some basic information an the hardware:

-Neutrik Power Con Socket
-Tyco Electronics Power Filter
-Shelly 1+ for Homekit integration and Standby Power Switch
-Block Toroidal Transformer
-Bridge Rectifier with LM1085-5 Linear regulator
-All Neutrik D-Type Connectors for USB, Ethernet, Digital and Analog Audio, external Antennas
-A Keyboard for the Frontplate I will make myself

For my Project I will use the following Acrylic Components:
-Up2 Stream DAC HD
-Digital In Board
-Display Board?
-Rotary Encoder
-IR Remote Board + Remote

Now regarding my Project I have a few questions:

1. Since the Board is running fine in Laboratory Mode on my table and setup is finished, the Boards LEDs are no more lit. That is generally no problem because I want to connect LED from my frontplatm to the GPIO Headers. Will the be lit are are they disabled after fully set up?

2. Acrylic offers only a very small OLED Display based on SSD1306 Chipset with I2C. I am looking for a larger display. There are a few options for larger displays on the market running on SSD1309 chipset. Will they work as well with the DAC HD?

It would very fine, If someone would give me a hint.

Thank you in advance!

Jürgen

Hello Together,

after some trial and error, a lot of email ping pong with Arylic Support, I now have the wiring for my project planning completed. The major drawback is that I couldn’t get the SSD1309 Display running.
Unfortunately no solution was found so far.

Now for today I will share a view on the subchassis for the DAC and the additional boards. It is an
aluminum plate with 20 by 15 cm.

In order for you to understand the project better I will now share the circuit and wiring diagrams.
These are Kicad drawings as PDF which are by far not perfect and they shall only show what the complete hardware will be. The circuit boards I will make by hand because it is just a few wires for the little Power Supply Board and the UI Board.

Now I have to find out how to share PDF’s!?

Workaround:

I will give you the files as jpg.
Here we go:

I’m curious about your feedback. What you think?

2 Likes

Apart from (the unfulfillable) wish for a costum display, the brand new WIIM pro has about the same hardware and software capabilities plus gapless playback for appr. $ 150.

So you mean the up2stream DAC doesn‘t have gapless Playback? I did not try that yet.

Yes, no gapless. For the prize not a surprise. Therefor, the WIIm pro is a very good bargain.

Yes I tested it myself. No gapless. A drawback which I hope can be fixed with a firmware update? Maybe? Luckily I will mainly use it with AirPlay or preset playlists from my NAS. That is why I didn’t notice yet. With AirPlay gapless is ok.
About the Wiim… It doesn’t support optical in (for my TV) or analog in. So it won’t be a suitable device for me. Also for my taste of device design, I don’t like. That is why I will make the Arylic DAC with a custom made housing.
After all, thank you for the hint regarding gapless playback!

A little Project Update:

Hi,
You’re confusing the WiiM mini with the WiiM Pro. The WiiM Pro does both optical and analog inputs. See photo

Thank you again for the hint. I still don‘t like this kind of plastic boxes. My purchase and decision is done. No need for a alternative.
Thank you!

New Project Update:

• IR Receiver Window 3D-Printed
    (The Arylic IR extension has been stripped an mounted into the Window)

• DAC Backpanel is pre mounted
    (Analog In Ports will be mounted later / RP-SMA Sockets will be mounted in upper row left and right.)

• The Backpanel for the matching Mono Amps are pre mounted.

1 Like

Great project! How do you fabricate the back and front plates - 3d printer or is there a source for aluminum chassis like this?

Hey, the back an front are 10 inch Rackpanels. Especially the rear have Neutrik D Type cutouts. The frontpanel will be cnc routed from anodized aluminum. If my front design is finished, i will Post it. The Housing will be made of birch multiplex plywood. Also cnc routed. I am in the Design process at the Moment.

In Germany it is 00:23 enough for today. :sleeping:

I am a newbee in HD DAC and maybe offtopic but can you connect the HD Dac via Blue tooth?
also the analog out did not work until now,
Thanks for the schematic for Digital audio in

Dear John, the Board supports Bluetooth 5. something. So, yes you can play via Bluetooth. The Analog RCA Sockets should always work, as this is a DAC. Check your set volume, maybe to low, so you won’t hear anything.

Good Luck!

i found out the board is broke, partly not powered also BT module is getting no power.
The + and -12V and the 5V out are also not available, and also the Aux in and the Aux out does not work.
The only way to get it a bit functioning is the coax out
But I am already waiting 10days on instructions how to get a replacement I have an RMA

Hey,

here I have a project update for you. So the Frontplates are finished and testmonted. Take look:

2D CAD View of the DAC

Reality with display and controls

I think it looks good.

A view on the fully running Testboard with display, all buttons and rotary encoder

Here also an update on the matching amps (these are mono blocks)

2D CAD view

Reality

The Ampboards for the Backplate of the Amps

2 Likes

I also faced a drawback on the DAC. A few days ago, I made the latest firmware update on the DAC. After that I made a hot reboot. The board was working fine showing all the new functions like sound controls.
After that I powered it down and up again and nothing happened . The board was completely dead with absolutely no signs of operation. Not even the slightest blink of an LED. So I requested a replacement und warranty and yesterday I got confirmation the I will receive a new board. All in all it took only a few days to clarify everything with Arylic. Now I’ll have to wait for the new board.
After that I will put all hardware in Testhousings made of MDF. If all works fine, I will start CAD planning for the final wooden housings.

Wish me luck!

All the best to you!

I did not power it down (I am afraid to do so if I read this) and it is stil playing after the update.
with some hickups.
When will there be a new firmware version??
and when would we be able to operate it via the web interface.

Hey Folks,

unfortunately I have to close this project because my HD DAC has failed again. The Board is defective and won’t boot any more. I claimed warranty for the board, which they granted. Unfortunately I will have to carry the shipping cost to China of around 50€! Never again! Take your fingers away form Arylic products!