Searching for: Volume control button that connects with Arylic Up2Stream

@NWT.Stuff @Hydro3

I agree with this approach Kevin, very smart!

wow, great idea and actions.
I think it need a web hosted in Button, to help to set up the network, and also set the IP address of device to control. And even, can fill the http command to send for each button. So user can modify with his habit. And for sure, it can send the default command without any config to keep it simple and easy to use.

1 Like

@zpl1025 I am short of a period of time where I can develop (MCU & Software) a bit :roll_eyes: at the moment. However a bit of time here and there is OK to firm up the Functional Specification. I will prioritise updating Functional Specification with your comments and @Hydro3 input :slight_smile:

I think there is also a split in the Functional Speciation but it is good to have all the possible ideas ā€œearly in the projectā€. For now I would suggest the following.

PROTOTYPE:
Phase 1 - Proof of Concept with Basic UPnP/DLNA Functionality and Bare Bones Simple Hardware
Phase 2 SOFTWARE - Maximise Functionality & Flexibility (as you suggest)
Phase 2 HARDWARE - Pick the Right Hardware to achieve the Functional Specification.
Phase 2 PACKAIGING - Make it look good and very cool :slight smile:

Great suggestion Frank!
I hope the others agree.

1 Like

FDS - Incorporating Comments from @Hydro3

FDS - Incorporating Comments from @zpl1025

@KolfMAKER @zpl1025 @Hydro3

Updated Architecture

1 Like

Kevin,

Thanks for keeping this going. I am eager to help with what I can. I might be moving away from the mini-v3 with my current project and going to the V4 Amp. I was coupling the mini V3 with some small Class D amps to power the new speakers behind my old intercoms but with the holiday deal on the V4 amps I am going to switch over to those to simplify my install.

I think this volume control will go great with any of these boards and would be great with my planned install to just have a control in the middle of the room so guest can use it at a party to keep the music going or switched around.

One of these days I will get things working better so I can post what I made. I have two of my old speaker fronts with new speakers mounted behind them and the mini V3 class D behind. Great sounding and functional boards.

1 Like

Thanks for this update Kevin. I like the visual representation of what we are doing, well done!

Concerning the display unit: my idea would be to exclude it from the photo type we are currently developing. But it can certainly be valuable to include it in a next version.

OK Ernst,

I agree for now no OLED :+1: Think we will need however a ā€œstatus lampā€ of some description. I will add an Output Unit to reflect this.

@NWT.Stuff

You are right, a LED status light would be good to have.
What function for it are you thinking off? (power on or weak battery, WiFi-connection on/off, ā€¦)

@KolfMAKER

Thatā€™s a good start :slight_smile:

Perfect! :+1:t3:

Expansion of what might be useful to have as visual indication. Just a poke in the dark for now but will hopefully promote some discussion :joy:

@NWT.Stuff
Very good Kevin, to already put thoughts on paper and see what all members of this project think. See hereā€™s some first responses.

General

• MVP - My idea would be to work towards a first version being a Minimum Viable Product. This helps us to have a focussed project, without distraction of too many nice-to-have wishes.
  • Functionality - Get the functionality for this MVP working, and keep in mind that we like all to be fit in a certain size casing.
  • Size - My idea; comparable to the first generations of AppleTV which is app. 10 x 10 cm. Big enough to have all electronics inside, including the rechargeable battery.
  • Shape & look - Also looking like Apple TV, the control-ā€˜knobā€™ on top, centred in the middle. I like the idea of @zpl1025 for using the ā€˜Adafruit ANO directional navigation and scroll wheel encoderā€™. I imagine this knob system can handle all controls we are looking for.
  • Costs - Focussing on this MVP, we can also target for something that in the end can be very affordable.

Hardware options
All mentioned options unspecified, are logical to think about. But again, I would prefer to first focus on an MVP as described. And include enough LED functionality to understand the operation and status of the wireless volume knob. (One LED could already be used for different types of status information, especially when we use a RGB LED)

So hereā€™s some input. I am also looking forward to hear input/feedback by the others (incl. you Kevin) :smiley:

1 Like

Ernst & anyone following this Topic

This is indeed the key to success in this case :slight_smile: As we are already agreed than UPnp/DLNA is the solution the Functionality is limited by the DLNA Specification. It cannot not go any further :stop_sign: With this in mind I can make a table of the FULL POTENTIAL FUNCTIONALITY tested with UPnP/DLNA & Arylic Products. After this it is just a tick box exercise. The list is not as long as one would imagine on the Control side of things :crossed_fingers:

For example we can do NOTHING about Multiroom Control, Slave Volume, Master Volume. The Hardware and Software is on the wrong side of things to even think about it. I will include an explanation about this in the FDS Intro as most users will ask this question first.

All good for me :+1:

I am short of time and as a keen enthusiast I am obviously ā€œitchingā€ to get some Software Written and Test Hardware. However it we make a comparison with a commercial project one would:-

1. Create a FDS
  2. Ask some companies to quote for Hardware Solutions and Software Development
  3. Choose the Right Suppliers and place an order
  4. etc. etc.

So I will ā€œsit on my handsā€ until we have an agreed FDS to work to. Itā€™s clearly the right way to work and the ultimate design will be efficient, e.g. taking care of Hardware, Packaging, Inputs, Outputs, etc.

Ernst, Initially I had similar thoughts, 1 x RGB LED and try to more or less follow the Arylic Pattern of colours, sequences etc.

However after giving it some thought I am more for differentiating as we are effectively providing a Wireless Remote Control. This is not an Arylic Renderer or AMP. So if we replicated the Arylic pattern , sequences etc. this could cause confusion about status/sequences as we are really providing something completely different.

Personally I would be adventurous and go for the ā€œAnnular Ringā€. It would look so much better than an LED poking out through a hole :slight_smile: I guess my message is concentrate on ergonomics and a ā€œgreat lookā€. The MCU and software for LED control is negligible. Also to be honest once I have got my head around addressable LEDā€™s (NeoPixel) itā€™s actually much simpler that 4 wire LED.

Conclusion, Go for what looks best and integrates better into the Final Product Packaging. Well nearly :joy:I will check the VDC limitations and get back to you., however the:-

• looks good, works well and reliably, ā€œdoes exactly what it says on the tinā€ approach works for me.

Checked the DLNA Specification. This is the complete list of Control Functions we can achieve with this type of device .

So thatā€™s it end of. WE CANā€™T DO MORE THAN THIS :roll_eyes:

However, for me thatā€™s more than enough :joy:

Those controls with dlna look like they do most everything except the presets.

Now to add more to the list I think if using the esp38 after looking up on it you should also be able to send some commands over http (correct me if I am wrong)

This may be a way to also get to a few presets.

I like where this is going.

@Hydro3 Sorry but my Last Post was incomplete. I forgot the presets :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m not sure if I got it right Kevin. Does this mean, ā€˜our knobā€™ canā€™t control volume of grouped speakers?
If so, in what way does it control volume with the Arylic products?