my first boombox with 2.1amp inside

Hello,
I bought Up2stream Amp 2.1 to create my first speaker. I thought…how hard can it be? Well it turns out to be hard, but I finally finished asambling thins togheter and now I can enjoy the music.
So let’s tell the story…after I bought the Up2stream Amp 2.1 with accessories: DAC board, wifi external antenna, remote control, IR extender, power source.

Next I needed some speakers…so I went for a diy kit - Overnight Sensations MT Speaker Kit Pair wich has the midbass - HiVi B4N 4" aluminum midbass woofer, tweeter - Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 3/4" neodymium silk and also has components to build a crossover. Next I needed a subwoofer so I choose Dayton Audio DCS165-4 6-1/2" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm .

After all components arrived…which took forever because the speakers were not on store stok… I started to design the enclosure…and boy I got a big surpise… I had to learn a lot about different paramenters which I had no clue before. I used WinISD to calculate volume , port length/diameter, checked the rear port air velocity , cone excursion…and made a plan for my boombox . I found an online site , https://speakerboxlite.com/ , which allowed me to create the enclosure. I create one enclosure for mid and tweeter and one enclosure to incorporate the 2 mid enclosures and the subwoofer.

After I got some idea how to cut the MDF, went to local store for precision cut…well was not that precise , the back it’s shorter with 2mm…but I can’t help it I don’t have tools to do it myself. So I started to glue parts in place

Made the speaker wholes with a jigsaw…wich didn’t get so precise… but I don’t own a router

Put the crossover parts on a board according to schematic, put the wires and then put everything inside,
I put the amp, with usb and aux in, drill a whole for power and one for on off switch

I bought paint from local store and painted with 3 layers… now you can see the first run…

20210727_182924 (streamable.com)

i still have a lot to work on it, put a handler, rubber feet. i want to make it portable so i will put some Li-Ion batteries inside…

7 Likes

Nice project. In case you decide to stick to building speakers: Get yourself a router! In my opinion, it is the most versatile tool when building speaker enclosures and might not be much more expensive than an Arylic board :wink:. With a router, you can eaily do the cutouts for the speakers, round the edges (if you like that), and even trim boards by 2mm :wink:.

Hello EthanEsrah,
You are absolutely right. You need a router to make wholes for drivers perfect round. Also you can trim edges or make everything look nice

It looks like you are using passive crossovers. No need the 2.1 amp board has built in DSP and EQ. You do need to buy the ACPWorkbench software to configure it. But well worth being able to tune your speaker.

If he is running that stereo he absolutely needs passive crossovers as the 2.1 only provides 3 channels. He would need 5 channels of dsp to crossover a stereo 2-way boom box with sub. If he sets it up mono he could get away using the 2.1 dsp.