How to connect a toggle switch to the KEY input of the board?

I want to connect a toggle switch to control the play/pause function. Problem is that it can only work with a momentary contact so i need to know what i need extra to make this work.

Can you draw me a small circuit on how to connect this toggle switch to the key input please? I need to know how to convert the toggle (on or off) to momentary including the correct resistor from 1K for the play/pause function.

The KEY input diagram can be found in this manual:
Up2Stream Pro User Manual

I would be very pleased if you could help me out so many thanks in advance.

Hi,
You will need to purchase a momentary contact toggle switch, they are readily available.
It’s a simple circuit to follow, again you shouldn’t find it to hard to acquire the components.

The PRO board have the 10K pull up resistor and the capacitor already on board, so you need a 1K resistor and a switch only. Maybe it’s a bit easier :slight_smile:

@zpl1025 Frank, I wasn’t aware of this, can you please confirm?

Yes, I could confirm. User only need to connect the 1K resistor and switch between KEY and GND pin.

Many thanks for tyhe reply and very helpfull that i just need to use a 1K resistor for the play/pause function. But still i need to know how to convert a toggle switch to a momentary switch.

What i want to do is to connect the fader start (toggle switch) from a fader in my mixer to this play/pause function. The goal is that when te fader is open the music starts to play and when i close the fader again the music should stop.

@zpl1025 Frank,
The reason I questioned your response is because the schematic supplied with the Mini and Pro boards is somewhat ambiguous, and some (including myself) would interpret it as the 10k resistance and the cap would need to be included for the additional switching functions.

Thanks to point this out Steve, I’ll inform my colleague to update the manual.

2 Likes

@zpl1025 Hi Frank,

I can confirm that only a 1K resistor for the play/pause function is working. But still i need to know how to convert a toggle switch to a momentary switch.

What i want to do is to connect the fader start (toggle switch) from a fader in my mixer to this play/pause function. The goal is that when te fader is open the music starts to play and when i close the fader again the music should stop.

As far as I’m aware it’s not possible to convert a normal off-on toggle switch to momentary action, whenever I’ve needed one, I’ve gone to my local electronics store and purchased one.
You will find them on eBay/online also.

@Steve1 @zpl1025 Hi Steve and Frank,

I found this topic with a scheme but the problem is that it works with a higher input voltage and from the output (pulse) side it should of course be the correct voltage expected by the board for the play/pause function. https://ibex.tech/resources/geek-area/electronics/filters/convert-toggle-switch-on-to-pulse

It seems as though you’re overcomplicating and unnecessarily adding complexity to what could be a straightforward circuit, making the task more challenging than it needs to be. Simplifying the design could lead to a more efficient and manageable solution.

@Steve1 Yes but the big question is how. I can solder them together but i can’t design a circuit. And i’m afraind to blow the KEY inpunt on the board. So i hope you can help me out with a simpel circuit as you are experts in composing such a nice product. That’s why i thought it would be an easy question for you guys.

Thanks in advance

What came to my mind is a monostable circuit, a quick search found this one you could try:

I’m confused why you choose the toggle switch to control play/pause? Why not just use a push button? It’s more easy and clear.

I guess you might like the feeling of toggling, so I suggest to use this toggle to cut the audio output, this won’t pause/resume music, but it could let you turn on/off the audio ouput, more like mute :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@zpl1025 Hi Frank,

I have no option to make it a push button as it’s part of the mixer. Here’s faderstart explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WWhb0EW-As
this faders make use of a toggle switch and that’s why i need a conversion. In this example it’s al set and working but i use a mixer with more faders and the goal is to use 2 of your boards with 2 faders so we can mix between these 2 using Spotify for example.