Higher gain on optical in on S50Pro+

Hello i have the S50 Pro+ and i would like to know if there is any way to raise the gain on the optical inputs because i think they are very low.
I have a pair of Denons Poa 4400A monoblocks an i have to cranck the volume all the way up to get them to play loud.
My old digital preamp didnt have this problem about 50% volume and they where as loud as hell but with the S50 Pro+ i have to go to like 95% to just get the same loud volume?

No one can help?

Hi I don’t have this preamp, but I had a similar PB with another evaluation board based on the same components (Linkplay A31 & digital chips), but firmware 3.XX and I had to play with the volume control of the board to randomely get the appropriate output level. I guess you tried this too… mute unmute and adjust volume level…? Do you have the latest firmware version? Using the Optical input eliminates the input level setting problems on the preamp side bu definition, unless you can control it on the source.

cheers,
Nobu

oups another hint may be… it seems there are problems with volume control with the firmware 4.6.415145.35
see Volume control issue.
For compatibility reasons with other devices form other brands I also have based on Linkplay31, I blocked all my units to a much earlier firmware version, so I can not testify… But worth trying on your side what the fellows of the other post did i.e. reset to factory settings via the app. Even if this only temporarily fixes the issue, then you would confirm the PB with the 4.6 415145.35 version…

it’s me again, look at the answer Volume control issue - #22 by zpl1025 sent by the moderator of Arylic, there really is an issue with thisnew version. You can try updating with his recommended alpha version. link in his reply, impossble to copy/paste nor wrtie in reply… see private message…

Hi Henning, the issue would be that the optical output level of the source device is not 0dB. And it might be -10dB. And for the receiver S50PRO, it does not have extra gain for the optical input, so the final output level would be low. I don’t know exactly which industry standard, but it would be the reason.
And the S50PRO+ should support to set pregain for each input, but you need the ACP tool and which is not free. I’m not sure if this is a sloution.

I’m just now experimenting with your similar set up.

Here’s what I’ve set up:

TV optical out to optical in on S50 Pro+
S50 Pro+ optical out to Amp optical in
Amp to Speakers.

I have to crank the S50 Pro+ to 99 to get the similar gain from the TV as TV directly to opti in on Amp
It’s as if the S50 Pro+ can only reduce the volume of the optical in.

Thankfully the S50 Pro+ remembers last volume of each input so when I switch to WiFi I’m not blasting at 99!

FYI, the reason I’m using the S50 Pro+ as a passthrough is my amp has only one opti in.

Hello @Forum, I have a different question, but involves somthing similar.

I have a Arylic S50Pro+ that I am feeding to my Denon AVR-X1300 receiver (assuming I am using the built-in DAC of Arylic), am I getting full 24/192 from compatible sources?

I was under the impression that only the Optical/Coax out downconverts the 24/192 to 16/44.1 and the analog is full bandwidth. Am I correct?

Hi dashy,

The S50PRO+ device itself is working in fixed 44.1KHz/16bits. All digital input, and the music files (local or online) will be decoded and resampled to 44.1KHz. And so the output will also remain 44.1KHz. This is the system limitation for this device.