B50 Firmware Version Update 52-452f344c

Has anyone had success changed USB format on Mac iOS? I can format to FAT16 on one of my spare flash drives, but still can’t get Amp to identify it

For anybody else struggling to get the update to work without a Windows PC, I had success from a Linux PC, by

• creating a 100MB FAT(32) partition on the USB drive, leaving the rest empty
  • reformatting it as FAT 12 with mkfs.fat -F 12 -v /dev/sdX1
    and then copying there the .MVA file

@Gatorcosta it may be possible to do something similar from MacOS command line, but I haven’t tried.

In this situation anyway I think it would be best if Arylic could publish a disk image that people can write using BalenaEtcher or similar, without depending on Windows for creating a working USB drive.

1 Like

UPDATED: due to the way the forum handles text it wasn’t properly showing some parts of the commands - fixed now…

By default Apple Disk Utility wants to partition all storage with a GUID partition map. It is possible that while you have a valid FAT/FAT16 partition on your USB stick the B50 does not see it because it can’t read the GUID map.

The only way I know how to fix this is via the terminal - the commands you enter are in bold:
!!! Remove ALL external storage except the USB stick you want to use or you might end up erasing something you don’t want to !!!

diskutil list external
This will display a list of attached external drives - there should be only one if you followed the advice above
Make a note of /dev/disk# for your USB stick

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk# MBR “MS-DOS FAT16” [name] 0
Replace the hash# in the above command with your device number from earlier and replace [name] with any 8 character or less all caps name eg ARYLIC for example:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk4 MBR “MS-DOS FAT16” ARYLIC 0
This should result in a blank FAT16 partition on an MBR partition map
Copy your firmware file as per instruction and try again
Good luck…

Is there any chance to downgrade firmware? Could you share file with previous version?
I updated the device hoping for better ARC and Samsung TV cooperation, but after the update, TV cannot recognise my Arylic B50. I’m forced to use Bluetooth connection.

Hello,

I recently bought a B50 and have been attempting to upgrade the firmware from 48-b0ab8739-7 to 52-452f344c. I followed all the instructions, made a FAT (not FAT32) partition in Windows, and plugged my usb drive into the back of the B50. On the app, I am prompted to update, but when I tap “update,” the app freezes and either the lights on the B50 turn on and off quickly or they stay on for several minutes. Either way, the firmware is not shown as upgraded in the app. I’ve tried upgrading the firmware with multiple USB drives and multiple phones. I am also using the latest version of the app. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Hey Ben,
as I already proposed to Slawomir a few lines above, I could send you my Intenso 1GB USB drive with wich the firmware upgrade worked just fine. Email me your adress and I’ll send it to you if you like…

Hello,

I can’t make the update of the firmware. I get the promt for the update in the app, I clik confirm, all the light just for a fraction of a second and then nothing happens. Ans so on… promt in the app…all tha same every time.

my update brick the b50 , the lights was turned on always, and after manually reboot, it’s not turn on , it’s alwasy on standby.
nothing to do for me.
why ?

Hello, I followed the instructions and had no problem at all.
Would it be possible for usb to read folders instead of
files, this will make search easier.
Regards

Hey Christiano,

Did you find a solution?

I was unable to upgrade my B50. It just gets stuck with all the lights on.

I managed to upgrade my (new) B50 using a plastic SD card reader. It’s a Chinese product using a chipset that is not well-supported otherwise.

I am getting regular drop-outs on ARC. (B50 ARC Issues with 52-452f344c - #3 by neik)

When playing from USB the song list in the app is empty.

I had the same problem too. I found in a drawer an old USB stick, a TRANSCEND with a capacity of 512 MB ! ! formatted in FAT16 and the miracle happened. This particular USB stick is more than 20 years old…I strongly suggest to find an old USB stick with a less than 2 GB capacity, format it in FAT16 and give it a try.

I didn’t get any prompt for updates.
Try it many many times.

The current version cannot save custom eq!!

Happening to everyone on B50 and BP50 as I own both. They need to update again! I know it’s sucks but we need the ARC feature!

1 Like

Hello, I have a MACOS PC and the pen drive formatted in fat32, but no pen drive works, how can I fix it? I couldn’t format in FAT16. Are there other method for install the new firmware? Thank you.

Your flash drive has a capacity of more than 4 gigabytes, for this reason it does not have a FAT16 menu, use a small flash drive and then the FAT16 (FAT) option will appear in the formatting menu. My friend, I myself encountered this problem and the only solution was to use an old flash drive with a small capacity.

Hi All,

READ THIS TO THE END AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE WARNINGS GIVEN - YOU WILL BE ERASING DRIVES FROM THE TERMINAL OR COMMAND LINE AND IF YOU DON’T PAY ATTENTION YOU COULD WIPE IMPORTANT INFORMATION BY BEING HASTY. I HAVE TESTED THESE COMMANDS MYSELF AS I WROTE THIS AND KNOW IT WORKS SO TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ERRORS.

Further to my earlier post about how to format a USB flash drive to MBR FAT-16 on MacOS I should have noted that due to the inherent limitations of FAT-16 (which only supports a maximum volume size of 4GB) this will only work for drives with a capacity of 4GB or less.

The command line instructions I gave assumed you would be creating a single volume on an appropriately sized drive - obviously using a 4GB or smaller stick will result in a 4GB or smaller volume. Apologies for not taking into account that the modern USB sticks most people have access to are much bigger than that.

There is, however, a way to use a larger capacity USB drive for this purpose - you just have to specify the desired FAT-16 volume size you want and ignore the rest of the available space.

As per my earlier post - REMOVE ALL EXTERNAL DRIVES CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION. YOU WILL BE ERASING A DRIVE - YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS TO THE WRONG DRIVE

On MacOS the terminal window commands to do this are:

diskutil list external

This will display a list of attached external drives - there should be only one if you followed the advice above

Make a note of /dev/disk# for your USB stick

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk# 2 MBR “MS-DOS FAT16” [name] 2048M FREE X 0

Replace the hash (#) in the above command with your device number from earlier and replace [name] with any 8 character or less all caps name eg ARYLIC for example:

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk4 2 MBR “MS-DOS FAT16” ARYLIC 2048M FREE X 0

I have tested this on a 16GB USB stick on a computer running the current MacOS and it works as advertised.

For Windows users the situation is the same. You will not even see the FAT-16 formatting option if the drive you are using is bigger than 4GB.

Open a Command Prompt (CMD) window and enter diskpart

You will be asked if you want to allow the diskpart application to run - do so.

When the diskpart app has started in a new window the prompt should change to DISKPART>

Here you will enter list disk

You will be presented with a list of connected disks. Look at the list and determine which one corresponds with your USB drive - in my case the 16GB drive showed up as Disk 2 with a capacity of 14GB

Enter select disk # where the hash (#) is the disk number you want to affect

You will be told that Disk # is now the selected disk

Enter list part to get a list of existing partitions - you will need to delete ALL existing partitions

You do this by selecting the partitions from the highest number downwards and repeatedly deleting the partitions until there are none left. In my case there were two partitions so my sequence was:

list part

select part 2

delete part

list part

select part 1

delete part override

Most often the first partition is a protected system partition and will require the “override” extension to force the command to work. Now if you do a list part there should be no partitions to show - if there are, continue deleting them until all are gone

Now you will create a partition of a size that can be formatted as FAT-16 by entering:

create part primary size=4000

Do a list part to make sure the partition is created and then enter exit to leave the diskpart application.

At this stage you will probably need to pull out the USB stick and reinsert it to get Windows to recognise it and assign a drive letter to it. As the drive is unformatted it will offer to do this for you - turn the offer down by clicking on the “Ignore” button. Open the Windows File Explorer and have a look to see what drive letter has been allocated to your drive.

Go back to the command prompt window and enter

format %: /FS:FAT/Q

substituting your drive letter for the percent sign (%) - in my case this was D so the command became

format D: /FS:FAT/Q

And now you have a valid FAT-16 volume on a drive bigger than 4GB. Again I just tested this using the same 16GB USB stick on a Windows 10 machine and it works as it should.

2 Likes

hi, I put a pen drive formatted fat16, but the upgrade don’t start

Hello, if the firmware version is lower than the previously installed one, then this may happen. You also need to use a flash drive of 4 gigabytes or less.