B50 32v power supply.

Hi… Has anyone tried a 32v power supply on their B50?
My Dali zensor bookshelves could do with a little more power. Cheers.

I read that the amp chip used in the B50 is the ACM3128A. The data sheet shows a 26.4 volt limit so I don’t imagine a 32V power suply can be used. Have you tried different inputs? In my experience optical gets louder than BT out of the box. The ACP workbench tool allows gain to be adjusted for the various inputs but may not help if your speakers are difficult to drive.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply William. I will definitely stick to 24v then. I will try out the ACP workbench tool. As I have noticed Bluetooth is louder than Hdmi.
My little Dali’s are hard to drive. I previously used a emotiva TA-100, similar power… But Watts don’t always tell the whole story.

Probably not a good idea to overvolt the device. On my BP50, I am able to use the 3-band EQ settings in the GoControl app in tandem to squeeze out a bit more gain from the device. Each of Bass, Mid, and Treble settings can be set to add up to 10dB gain, which is added on top of the main volume setting.

The BP50 of course is not meant to drive passive speakers, because there are no speaker wire terminals on that particular device. So, I’m not sure how much load the B50 can drive.

EDIT: Looking at the published specs for the Arylic B50, it looks like the output power is rated for 50W @ impedance speaker load. The second rating is for 30W @ load.

B50 Spec Value
Power Output 24V 4ohm 50W *2
24V 8ohm 30w *2
Speaker Impedance 4 - 8 Ω
Speaker out 50W per channel @ 4 Ω

Meanwhile, the speakers you mentioned have the following specs:

Zensor Spec Zensor 1 Zensor 5 Zensor 7 Zensor Vokal
Nominal Impedance [ohms] 6 Ω 6 Ω 6 Ω 6 Ω
Recommended Amp. Power [Watts] 25 - 100 30 - 150 30 - 150 30 - 120

So while the B50’s drivable speaker / load impedance falls within the range of 4-8 Ω, with speakers at ~6 Ω, the Amp power of 30-50 W is closer to the low end of their recommendation. Also, the impedance of a single-driver speaker is not linear across the frequency spectrum, and this is doubly (or triply) true for multi-driver speakers. Dali’s technical specs here show the graph of impedance plotted across the frequency spectrum range (see page 5). So the minimum of the speaker’s impedance range is around 5-6 Ω, but maximum peaks can be anywhere from 20-30 Ω. That said, an amplifier capable of driving at higher wattage per-channel would probably be able to drive those particular speakers a bit better.