Active stereo monitors with 2 x Up2Stream Amp Mono ( v4 board ) - problems/solutions

Hi everyone.

I started to make my dream project and I decided to do that with Arylic products.

My project is to build a unique stereo monitor pair with two separate identical cabinets.

Each cabinet consists:

6.5 inch dual concentric speaker driver “JBL”

passive speaker crossover,

Up2Stream Amp Mono V4 Board,

Up2Stream Button Board,

Up2Stream S/PDIF (one speaker with “In Board” other with “Out Board”)

Up2Stream Volume Knob Board

3ch Digital Logic Level Conversion Module PNP/NPN to NPN (in:3v3 out:24v) - for the led indicators,

Power supply Mean Well RS-150-24 - 24VDC Single Output at 6.5A,

Front panel of each speaker cabinet will have:

1 x Volume knob,

4 x Push Button Momentary Switch - for first four preset,

4 x Push Button Momentary Switch - for previous, next, play/pause,stand by,

1 x Toggle switch On/Off Latching RGB Triple LED 24v - for power on/off and led indicators for: wifi, bluetooth, aux, usb,

Rear panel of each speaker cabinet will have:

1 x NAC3MPXXA - NEUTRIK powerCON D-type chassis connector - for 220v power in,

1 x RJ45 CAT 6 D-type chassis connector - for network connection,

1 x USB3.0-TYPE C D-type chassis connector - for DAC and ACP Workbench,

1 x USB2.0-TYPE A D-type chassis connector - for USB Stick,

2 x RCA D-type chassis connector - for analog audio stereo input (AUX 1)

1 x 3.5mm TRS Jack D-type chassis connector - for analog audio stereo input (AUX 2),

1 x 3.5mm TRS Jack D-type chassis connector - for analog audio stereo output,

1 x 3.5mm TS Jack D-type chassis connector - for analog audio SUB output,

1 x Toslink fiber female D-type chassis connector - for S/PDIF in/out,

Problems what I currently have:

When you are using only one Up2Stream Amp Mono V4 Board everything works better than perfect, but when you want to set up a pair of them to work together then your problems begin.

1 - PROBLEM “SYNCED VOLUME CONTROL”

Both boards are set in mono mode for more output power.

In 4STREAM APP dedicated LEFT channel to one and RIGHT channel to other board and also paired in group to play synchronised.

In this situation we have GROUP VOLUME for both boards and it works well when you control the volume from the 4STREAM app or spotify with your mobile phone.

• Problem is that if you are using a volume knob (encoder) from one speaker you are regulating volume only for that speaker.

** My suggestion would be that when two or more boards are set in one group then every volume knob (encoder) from every board should regulate GROUP VOLUME.

2 - PROBLEM “SYNCED IR REMOTE”

In the same setup like previous.

• Problem that you can’t use the IR REMOTE at all if you have two boards in one room.

** My suggestion would be that when two or more boards are set in one group then IR RECEIVER should be active only on the master board and others disabled automatically when the group is created. Or all IR RECEIVERS should be active and retransfer the control information only to control the MASTER BOARD. In either case with IR REMOTE you should control only the MASTER BOARD when there is a group present.

// Because in grouping boards together there is sound latency from synchronization around 1000ms and that is an impossible solution if you want to watch a movie or video, you can pair these two boards in another way but you have other new problems.

3 - PROBLEM “ANALOG / S/PDIF AUDIO OUT ONLY ONE CHANNEL NOT STEREO”

Both boards are set in mono mode for more output power.

In 4STREAM APP dedicated LEFT channel to one and RIGHT channel to other board and they are separate, not joinet into a group.

• Board with a dedicated RIGHT channel is playing music even from a streaming service, DAC or line in, the output from that board is only the RIGHT channel no matter if you are using S/PDIF or analog audio out (there is no way to get the LEFT channel on the LEFT BOARD if on the RIGHT BOARD is dedicated RIGHT channel).

** My suggestion would be that output connectors should be in stereo no matter the choice of the board (LEFT, RIGHT, MONO, STEREO) if that is possible with this hardware.

4 - PROBLEM " LINE IN/OUT AND S/PDIF AUDIO LATENCY"

In the same setup like previous.

• There is audio latency on the outputs or input of the board and that is approximately LINE IN - 12ms and S/PDIF - 38ms.

** My suggestion would be that you can calibrate that difference with MonoChannel Delay ( 0x8a ) with APCWorgbench, but the problem still remains if you use the stereo mode of the amp board (there is no delay option for the stereo).

5 - PROBLEM “SLEEP AND WAKEUP”

• I didn’t find how to set up sleep mode when the input signal is not detected and wake up when the signal is present. If there is a way to set this please let me know, otherwise you should consider adding this option in future.

I’m hoping that it is possible to find solutions and resolve most of these problems with firmware updates or if that’s not possible than with some new generation of DIY boards.

Waiting for discussions and possible solutions.

Merry Christmass.

Hi Cherpy,

Merry Christmas.

Regarding PROBLEM #1 and #2, it’s designed in this way because the multiroom or group playback is normally used in different rooms. So we choose to control the device separately. And considering the delay between devices is not accurate same, it would have some phase issue, and not very suitable to place in the same room. Anyway, we could add a switch controlled by API to get this group volume working.

And PROBLEM #3, it’s not possible because the output will share the same audio buffer, and if configured with mono, then all will output mono.

PROMBEL #4, that should be caused by the SPDIF receiving buffer, I would prefer to not adjust this. Anyway, a buffer to calibrate the delay need more memory and which is not very much in this platform.

PROBLEM #5, normally the device will turn off the amplifier chip when found no signal input in 60 seconds, and back on when audio detected. I guess this should be the sleep and wakeup feature you’ve mentioned.

Hi Cherpy and welcome to the forum.

Dual concentric speakers can sound great with the correct enclosure, have you got a design in mind?
So, how far have you progressed, or is this just a concept at this stage?

Many other forum users have built active speakers using Arylic components, have a search of the site to get ideas from them and see the issues that some have faced.

Hi zpl1025.

Thanks for the answer.

I thought that you can make a perfect synced stereo par L + R with grouping two boards. (if that is not meant to be then why even exist an option to choose L and R ? ). I listened for a while with this option and I noticed that very often the boards are resynced. Meaby it will work better in the future.

About PROBLEM #1:
If you managed to make that volume synchronization for paired boards please let me know.

About PROBLEM #5:
In my case the boards are not going to sleep ever, no matter which input is selected.

*Another little problem that I noticed is that when the board is connected with usb (DAC) it’s always returning to DAC input after turning on, no matter what was the last selection when it is turned off.

Hi Steve1

Yes these drivers have amazing sound and I have compared with a lot of other much more expensive speakers with separate mid-low and hi drivers and they were always a bit better :slight_smile:

I find very good cabinets from other speakers which work very well with these drivers and they are correct measurements according to these drivers.

At the moment I’m working on the front and rear board design and also testing all the parts how they arrive.

I hope if everything goes like I planned the speakers will be completed next month.

I will publish a complete project with all calculations, measurements and photos on this forum when I finish.

This post is interesting. I was wondering about the feasibility of a surround home cinema system with Arylic amplifiers, but it seems that might be their drawback. They are designed for multiroom use rather than perfect synchronization for the same room. I hope the brand will develop amplifiers capable of this in the future. If you plan to create a speaker with a single Arylic amplifier later on, focus on the speaker’s sensitivity for increased sound volume.

1 Like